If you have an account on social media, Instagram and Youtube in particular, you are likely to be following a couple of lifestyle influencers.
During my trip to Bali, Indonesia, the digital nomad Mecca, I had the chance of being introduced to the Youtube & travel influencer Riley Bennett by a common friend who had moved there from San Francisco.
We most often see the picture-perfect dreamy side of the digital nomade journey, but rarely get to know how to concretely get there and how the path looks like, from dreaming away to creating a successful and sustainable lifestyle as a traveler.
Riley kickstarted his journey after having a revelation when visiting a friend in Thailand, on his first trip outside the country. Seattle or the tropical life? The decision to move there was easy.
Find out how he made it happen.
Find your way in the episode:
0:00 Traveling abroad for the first time
3:30 Becoming a digital nomad & getting inspired
6:00 The advantage of having a buddy/community to take the leap
12:00 The reality of making money as a digital nomade & fear as a motivator
19:00 Amazon selling as a passive income
23:00 The psychology of warm weather and the holiday mood
27:00 From introvert to extravert
32:00 Entertainment Vs Education
34:00 Content is key: be real and do not blame failure on algorithms
37:00 The trigger
42:00 Actionnable tips to becoming a digital nomade
Riley's tips: the major keys to becoming a digital nomade
- Surround yourself with inspiration: watch your idols on Youtube, print pictures of your dream destination, talk to people that already live that lifestyle...
- Make the necessary sacrifices : Slept on a couch, sell your car, your clothes...
- Have a buddy and become part of a community of like-minded people
- Set a starting point: a specific date or event that will kickstart your journey
- Have a clear and realistic financial plan for your business
- Don't give up, you can still succeed right on the edge of losing it all!